Dawg's News Archive

Juror admits contempt of court over Facebook contact

Joanne Fraill, Jamie Sewart arriving at the High Court on 14 June 2011 Fraill (left) initiated the
Facebook exchanges after Sewart was cleared

A juror, who contacted a defendant
via Facebook, has admitted contempt of court in the first case of its kind in
the UK involving the internet.

London’s High Court heard that Joanne Fraill, 40, contacted Jamie Sewart, 34,
who had already been acquitted in a drugs trial costing £6m in Manchester.

Because other defendants were still on trial, the judge decided to discharge
the jury, and the case collapsed.

Sewart was also found to be in
contempt.

She had admitted the online contact took place but denied it amounted to an
offence.

The case, brought by the Attorney General, Dominic Grieve QC, was heard by
the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, sitting with Mr Justice Ouseley and Mr
Justice Holroyde.

Continue reading the main story

Analysis

image of Dominic Casciani
Dominic Casciani BBC
News home affairs correspondent


Last year, the Lord Chief Justice used a speech to effectively warn that
someone will end up behind bars if jurors use the internet to find out
information about cases they are trying.

That someone is Joanne Fraill, a previously hard-working woman of good
character who broke every rule in the book.

Her case and likely forthcoming jail sentence for Contempt of Court sets a
legal precedent because it is the first time that the judiciary has tackled what
many of their number suspect has been going on.

There are anecdotal stories of jurors digging around the internet to research
defendants and academic research found as many as 12% of jurors in big trials
could be doing so.

The finding against Fraill is a very public statement by the Lord Chief
Justice that just because it is easy to contact people online, it is
unacceptable to do so where it interferes with justice.

Sentencing is expected to take place on Thursday.

The maximum penalty for contempt is two years imprisonment.

Lord Judge told mother-of-three Fraill, from Blackley, Greater Manchester,
that she should expect to be sent to prison.

But he said he would not be able to decide on the length of the term until a
linked appeal against conviction brought by another defendant in the case – who
was potentially affected by her actions – was concluded.

He told Sewart, from Bolton, that any prison sentence on her would be
suspended because she has a three-year-old child from whom she had already been
separated during the crown court trial.

At the High Court hearing, Fraill admitted she had made online contact with
Sewart and discussed the case with her while the jury’s deliberations were
continuing.

She also admitted revealing details of the jury’s deliberations during that
online conversation – contrary to Contempt of Court Act 1981 – and conducting
internet research into a defendant whose case she was trying as a juror during
the trial.

That was despite the judge reminding all the jurors that they must decide the
case solely on the evidence given in court.

‘Home and
dry’

Fraill was on a jury in a case which had already been halted twice.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

All that note-taking was just killing time. lol. drew more
than I wrote”

End Quote Facebook comment by Joanne Fraill

On 3 August last year, the judge in the third trial of
the alleged drugs gang gave jurors the option of deciding the verdict by a
majority rather than unanimously.

But the High Court was told the trial was stopped the following day when
Sewart’s solicitor informed the court that his client and Fraill had been in
contact by Facebook.

The court heard the initial contact came after Fraill went on the social
networking website and tracked down Sewart, saying: “You should know me – I’ve
cried with you enough.”

Fraill was said by her lawyer to have felt “considerable empathy” for Sewart
as the trial “”gathered in momentum and intensity”.

“Can’t believe they had u on remand,” she said in another one of their
conversations, a transcript released by the court shows.

Fraill added she thought she recognised one of the other defendants and when
asked by Sewart how the jury was dealing with one of the outstanding charges
said: “Cant get anywaone to go either no one budging… don’t say anything cause
jamie they could cause miss trial”.

The two continued to talk about the case and used expressions such as “lol”
and other internet slang, as well as variants of spelling commonly used in such
messages.

Frail also said: “At least then yer all home n dry”.

And Sewart responded: “Ha ha, ur mad. I really appreciate everythin. If i cud
of kissed u all i would of done ha ha.”

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

Her conduct, though reprehensible, was not calculated or
designed by her to subvert the trial process”

End Quote Peter Wright QC

She went on to say: “Keep in touch and I’ll get u a nice
pressie…”

The pair agreed to become Facebook friends after the trial.

Fraill also described her role on the jury in their conversations. “All that
note-taking was just killing time. lol. drew more than i wrote lol,” she
said.

Solicitor General Edward Garnier QC told the High Court that that contact and
discussion were in direct breach of the judge’s repeated directions to the jury
– and it constituted a contempt of court.

Peter Wright QC, for Fraill, said his client was terrified at the prospect of
prison and was distraught and inconsolable about what she had done.

He described her as a woman of completely unblemished character before she
“lost her senses” in the Facebook exchanges.

He said she only contacted Sewart because she saw in the younger woman’s life
her own.

“Her conduct, though reprehensible, was not calculated or designed by her to
subvert the trial process, although it is conceded that that was an inevitable
consequence of it,” he added.

Leaving court, Sewart said she was “massively relieved” to be told she would
not serve a custodial term.

She added: “I regret everything. She contacted me. My mind was in a
whirlwind. I had just been acquitted. When I sat back and thought about it I
realised I should report it and I did.”

Vancouver police blame Stanley
Cup riots on anarchists

(CNN) — Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu
is blaming “criminals and anarchists” who, he said, disguised themselves as
Canucks fans for riots after the team lost the NHL’s Stanley Cup
finals.

“These were people who came equipped with masks, goggles and
gasoline, even fire extinguishers that they would use as weapons,” Chu said of
Wednesday night’s melee.

Nearly 100 people were arrested, according to
Deputy Mayor Raymond Louie. Fifteen vehicles were damaged after the home team
lost the hockey championship to the Boston Bruins.

“We have more than 100
tips that include video and photographs of the individuals involved in the
riot,” Raymond said Thursday. “We will investigate and prosecute individuals
involved in last night’s activities. They do not represent Vancouver, and we
thank the people that came out this morning to help clean the
streets.”

Among unofficial Facebook pages set up after the violence was
one soliciting cleanup help and another asking readers to report riot
“morons.”

The city was still coming to grips with the
mayhem.

“It’s totally unlike Vancouver,” said Jennifer Richie, bar
manager at the Wicklow Public House bar and restaurant. “Just too many people
had too much to drink.”

She said fire and smoke billowed in and around
neighborhoods near Rogers Arena, where hundreds of angry hockey fans wreaked
havoc after the loss.

“I’m a little ashamed to live in Vancouver right
now.”

The incident echoed a 1994 Vancouver riot after a Stanley Cup loss
to the New York Rangers, which caused widespread damage that resulted in
hundreds of arrests.

Another city restaurant manager called Wednesday
night’s turmoil “disappointing.”

“I’m proud to be from Vancouver,” said
Courtney Rose, manager of the Boat House restaurant. “I’ve grown up thinking we
are a peaceful city in western Canada, not the kind of people who destroy
property and fight with police in the streets.”

Rose said she and other
residents avoided downtown parts of the city after smelling tear gas in areas
surrounding the arena.

Public transportation was also restricted during
the riot, she said, which temporarily prevented residents from entering parts of
the city.

The melee began after the Bruins won their first NHL
championship in 39 years, trouncing the Vancouver Canucks 4-0 on Wednesday
night.

“It’s absolutely disgraceful and shameful,” Mayor Gregor Robertson
told CNN affiliate CTV. “It by no means represents the city of
Vancouver.”

He called the rioters “despicable” after hundreds of mostly
young people took to the streets and set overturned vehicles ablaze.

Some
disappointed fans and rioters stopped and posed in front of the flames. Others
danced atop an overturned vehicle as a cloud of gray smoke hung over
downtown.

Aerial footage showed city police wading into the unruly crowd
that taunted and threw debris at the officers a few blocks from the
arena.

Meanwhile, sanitation workers continued cleanup efforts Thursday
across downtown sections of the Canadian city.

After dropping the first two games in Vancouver, the Bruins
took four of the last five games from the Canucks, who struggled to stay in Game
Seven after going down 1-0 in the first period.

Tag Cloud

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.